December 19, 2021

Cross Stitch Finish: Christmas Advent Calendar

I recently completed my cross stitch Advent Calendar just in time for Christmas and I even finished it myself using my own sewing machine. Thank you for stopping by to check it out!
cross stitch advent calendar
As children my sister and I would often fight over who got the coveted honor of hanging the daily marker on my mother's advent calendar each night. Sorry mom! The advent calendar was a cross stitched piece that my mother had handmade and she still hangs it up to this day -- though many of the marker ornaments have gone missing (or broken), there are areas were the cross stitches have loosened, and there is a bit of discoloration caused by years of storage. 

This is my mom's piece:
cross stitch advent calendar
It's slightly worse for the wear but it still brings back all the nostalgia for me each year so I cherish it despite any of its perceived flaws.

A few years ago I realized that I could probably recreate it so I could have one in my own house. Naturally, the pattern my mother used had been long destroyed, lost, or thrown away of course (it was 20+ years ago!), and I thought there was no way I would find it at my LNS (that's "local needlework shop" for those in the FlossTube and stitch-y community--haha I'm new there). So I set out on Ebay to search and lo and behold I found it! 

It's the Bucilla TOY SHOPPE Christmas Advent Calendar Counted Cross Stitch Kit (#82760) and it's not in print anymore but you can still find it on eBay, Poshmark, Mercari, etc. if you like it and would like to make one for yourself. 
It's a kit so it comes with everything you need to stitch it: the Aida fabric, all floss colors, the ornament markers, sequins, etc. It even comes with the dowel to hang it when you are done.

Overall it took about a year of making slow progress each time. I started with the little sheep in the center and went from there. 
For some reason I didn't take any photos between when I first started the middle and when I got close to the end of the top. I hate when I don't take progress photos! My stitchy buddy was never too far from my project though!

I started using a working pattern too so I could highlight what I already did so I wouldn't get lost while doing the valence. I originally started doing that on my Disney Beauty and the Beast project since it's so big and I will be devastated if I miscount. 
cross stitch advent calendar
Using a working pattern is great because you can mark it up without ruining the original pattern. It's a godsend if you have any trouble keeping your place in a pattern.

After I finished the stitching I had to figure out to finish it. I chose a Christmasy fabric and sewed a backing with a little pouch for the ornaments.
cross stitch advent calendar
I enjoy adding each new ornament as we approach Christmas and it always reminds me of those times with my family. I look forward to giving similar memories to my own children someday.
cross stitch advent calendar
I really enjoyed this project and I recently purchased another kit off ebay so I could make one for my sister.
  1. Do you use an advent calendar?
  2. Have you ever tried cross stitch?
  3. What is your favorite childhood holiday memory?
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Have a thought? I'd love to hear it! Share a comment and let me know what you're thinking.

Blogger templates by pipdig