May 04, 2022

Bag Review: Louis Vuitton Pochette Metis (Monogram)

 

Ever since I graduated law school I always looked forward to the day where my student loans would be a thing of the past. And I am ecstatic to say that now they have finally been paid in full! To celebrate, I recently treated myself to a pair of Pochette Metis bags from Louis Vuitton. Because this is such a popular bag I wanted to do a quick review in case anyone drools over this bag as much I do!

I have wanted the Pochette Metis in the classic LV monogram for years and was incredibly excited that it was now my time to buy it. I knew it was a popular bag but I had no idea how difficult it was to actually get your hands on! I ended up buying the empriente leather in noir and buckled down to try and snag the monogram. I don't live near an LV boutique so I had to purchase online and let me tell you I stalked the website until I saw "place in cart" become an option.  It was so bizarre -- randomly I would refresh the page and it would suddenly be in stock.

Spoiler alert: This is actually my third monogram Pochette Metis. The first two I purchased had defects! You can read more about that saga coming up here on the blog.

Back to the review...

Bag Specs (Dimensions/Weight/Etc)

The Pochette Metis bag is 9.8 inches long, 7.5 inches high, and 2.8 wide. The monogram canvas option weighs . It is noticeably lighter than the empriente leather option.

It is made from the classic LV monogram coated canvas and contains natural cowhide trim ("vachetta leather") on the handle and above the front hardware. I highly recommend monogram canvas if you tend to not baby your bags. It is a very resilient material and is scratch-resistant! 

You do have to be careful with the cowhide trim though because it does not do well if it gets wet. But a perk of the cowhide is that it patinas into beautiful tanned shades the more you wear it giving it a beautiful lived-in vibe. I wrapped my handle with a leopard print scarf to help protect it from hand oils and water. But I may just take it off and treat the leather with apple guard.

The inside of the bag contain technically three compartments (two larger and one slim). The material of the inside is a textile lining similar to suede/microfiber. It's definitely a soft material but seems sturdy. The bag has the most beautiful shape.

The back of the bag contains a zip-closure pocket that is actually pretty roomy. 

You can easily fit your phone or even a card case in the back pocket. Anything you might need quick or constant access to is perfect for that pocket.

My favorite part of the bag might be the gold hardware. 

The front of the bag is secured by an S-lock closure (which comes protected by a little clear sticker--yes I am leaving that on as long as possible). 

Although I have heard the S-lock gets scratched and tarnishes you can use a brass cloth to shine it back up if needed. My S-lock works so well and the flap pops right open when you squeeze the lock.

As a crossbody bag, it also comes with an adjustable and removable strap.

It has five grommets to help you control if you want the bag to sit higher or lower on your hip. I (as a short girl) appreciate that freedom so much to control the drop. At the longest setting the bag drop is about 21 inches and at the shortest setting I think it is 18 inches or so.

Wearability

The Pochette Metis is meant to be worn crossbody, on one shoulder, or even hand held as a clutch (with or without the strap attached). 

So you have technically four options to wear it. I love a bag that offers some variety!

Storage

This bag is a really good size. I have gravitated toward my smaller bags and I even tend to use just my LV key pouch if I am running out for a quick errand.
It even fits an entire planner or notebook inside. To be honest, I staged this photo just to show what can fit inside -- I don't actually carry around a planner or notepad with me. Usually it's just my phone, my LV key pouch wallet, a face mask, and a lip balm.

Care

The canvas is a treated material that is very resistant to scratches, dents, digs, and wear. However, there is some issue with the glazing on the canvas. It happens for many of the LV canvas bags but particularly on the Pochette Metis and I have seen review after review on YouTube complaining about the problem. It does not happen with everyone and it does not seem to matter whether the bag is made in the US, France, or Italy. 

I inspected my bag closely upon receipt and I am hoping I will be lucky and not have any glazing issues. If you do have glazing issues though the boutique can repair it. They are well aware of the issues.

Options

There are so many style options for this bag. 
It ranges from canvas options to the beautiful embossed empriente leather. My review of the empriente leather in noir is coming up as soon as I finish taking the photos! It also comes in reverse monogram and seasonal options such as large bicolor monogram or even specialty empriente leather colors. 

I have my eye on the turtledove one. Just look at how gorgeous the color is!
Source: Louis Vuitton website.
But I just can't justify having three of these bags right now, you know? So I'll be enjoying my monogram and noir one first! Maybe later!

Price and Availability

This bag currently retails for $2,570. Much like other luxury fashion houses Louis Vuitton does do price increases throughout the year. I think it increased in February 2022 to the current price. Honestly, I think it is worth every penny. You can also try to find a pre-loved one on a reseller website if you want to save a few bucks. Just be careful and do your own research to ensure you are choosing a good quality and authentic option!

This bag is uber popular but honestly I have never seen it out in public. It is difficult to get your hands on this bag and I watched a lot of YouTube videos of unboxings/reviews of this bag that all said the same thing. If you want to get your hands on this bag you can stalk the website like I did (worked out three times!) or visit your local boutique to see if you can get on a waiting list. Who knows, maybe you'll get lucky and they'll have it in stock!

Look for Less

As always, the attorney in me wants to urge you to avoid supporting the counterfeit or replica industries. Number one, it is illegal to be in possession of a counterfeit bag. But counterfeits also cheapen and ruin the reputation of the brand, contributes to unethical labor market practices, and can even be linked to subsidizing organized crime. Seriously, do your research and think twice.

But if you think $2,570 for a handbag is insane -- and believe me I hear you -- the good news is you can get a similar look for less while still respecting and not infringing on the brand's protected designs. If you love the style but not the LV print or price tag check out these options instead:

Landry (7 color options!) |  Botkier  |  DKNY 

You can also try the Coach Kip Turnlock Crossbody or the Coach Cassie but it is discontinued. You m ay be able to find it on a reseller though.

Thank you for checking out my bag review! Did I leave anything out? If you have any questions please leave it in a comment below or email me so I can add the information!

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Have a thought? I'd love to hear it! Share a comment and let me know what you're thinking.

Blogger templates by pipdig