August 08, 2023

A little Luxembourg

Luxembourg is one the smallest European countries which is nestled by Belgium, France, and Germany. My husband and I like to visit the large well-known tourist countries but every now and then we will take a trip to a smaller, less touristy destination. In 2019 we visited Liechtenstein (I'm pretty sure that's a principality and technically NOT a country but anyway...) and in 2023 we visited Luxembourg.

I am a sucker for a medieval town and cliffs. I knew absolutely nothing about Luxembourg before we went. So I'm going to sprinkle in some facts about Luxembourg among the photos here.
Luxembourg is the last Grand Duchy in the world.
Luxembourg is the second-richest country in the world. The number of law offices I saw and people with designer items was not surprising after I learned that. We sat next to a woman at lunch who had a Burberry coat, Birkin bag (the first one I have ever seen in person), Louis Vuitton shoes, and beautiful gold jewelry. I felt like such riff-raff near her.
The Schengen Agreements were signed in Luxembourg.

And the Golden Lady, a memorial in Luxembourg City dedicated to the Luxembourgers who served in support of the Allied Powers during both World Wars.
They were having some sort of carnival around the memorial when we walked by.

There is not a tremendous number of things to do BUT if you enjoy wandering around and making your own fun then give Luxembourg a go. We enjoyed going to their museum (free) and fort.
You can also do tours of the Bock Casemates, which is a subterranean defense system made up of tunnels that were initially carved in the 17th century.  We did not book in advance enough so we could not go on the official tours but you can see them as you walk around.


Luxembourg has three official languages.

First, Luxembourg is one of the safest countries in the world.

It was really nice to just wander around and see the city/town. It was very quiet and we did not see many people.
The casemates I mentioned above were used in World War II as bomb shelters.
If you are looking for somewhere unique to spend a couple days give Luxembourg a try!

Do you prefer to visit well-known countries?
How have you stepped off the beaten path when you travel?
What is the smallest place that you have visited?
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Have a thought? I'd love to hear it! Share a comment and let me know what you're thinking.

Blogger templates by pipdig