July 05, 2020

Our New Addition: Meet our Pembroke Welsh Corgi



I have wanted a dog ever since since I moved into my first apartment for law school. But I knew the long hours in the library, attending classes, and law review responsibilities would not translate very well to prime pet ownership capabilities.
Then once I graduated and we fell into the rhythm of full time work we didn't think we would be able to devote the time to training and caring for a new puppy. But now, with the covid-19 crisis and everyone quarantined at home until the fall, we decided to seize the opportunity and go for it.

So we started looking online for breeders of Pembroke Welsh Corgis. I specifically wanted a corgi because I love their look (their little tiny legs, pointy ears, and smiley faces are the cutest aren't they?!) and they seem to have a good personality and would be a good fit. We found a breeder with a litter of fawn corgis available and we fell in love with a sweet little girl puppy named Callie.
She had the cutest little face with the white blaze going up almost into a heart shape on her forehead. Then she has white markings on each of her paws.
I wanted to take all of them home but we knew we couldn't so we picked out Callie and brought her home. The mama corgi was so sweet. Do mama dogs care when you take one of their litter away? I felt so bad scooping the puppy up and driving away with her! The puppy even wimpered and cried a little when I guess she realized she was being separated from her litter mates.
Look how tiny her little paws are! Once she settled down a bit she fell asleep...in the weirdest position. That could not be good for her neck.
We took her outside and then let her explore her new home. We set up a crate and pen for her to be in until she was acclimated to the house. 
We named her Bella and I am now obsessed.
She has the sweetest disposition and has already become such a great part of our family. She is the first corgi I have ever owed and training her has been a really fun adventure. Any tips or advice for training a puppy please leave below in the comments or email me--I would definitely appreciate it!
She is so snuggly too. She sleeps at my feet while I work all day (with some breaks to run outside for a quick wee and some play time). She has been so good and I have yet to have any issue with her barking during a client phone call, deposition, or conference with the judge.
She's also a sucker for belly rubs, which is awesome. She sleeps on her back all the time and I'm trying to get her to understand that "belly rubs" means roll over for pets.
She is literally the smartest pooch ever. I wouldn't say she's housebroken yet but she has not had any accidents (well, one the first day and then one while my husband was supposed to be watching her) but we caught her both times and she seems to understand that she needs to go outside now. She walks to the top of our stairs and then looks at us to let us know she has to go out.
She can also sit like a pro. I can't wait to continue teaching her and training her. She's going to be the most well-behaved pooch ever! Lol, hopefully. We are enjoying taking her on walks around the neighborhood. She loves to meet everyone and say hi to all the passing cars.

Can you tell I am obsessed?! There will definitely be more updates on her as she grows. She was 5 pounds when we got her and she will eventually grow to be 25 pounds or so.

1.  Do you have pets?
2.  What is your favorite type of dog?
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Have a thought? I'd love to hear it! Share a comment and let me know what you're thinking.

Blogger templates by pipdig