January 16, 2018

Eating in the Eiffel Tower: What to Expect (My Experience at 58 Tour Eiffel)


If you have landed on this post you are either (1) heading to the Eiffel Tower very soon to have a meal or (2) are interested in what that experience would be like. Either way, I am glad that you are here. When my husband and I had dinner 58 meters up inside the Eiffel Tower during our honeymoon it was one of our favorite experiences of the whole trip.

KNOW YOUR RESTAURANT

Many people do not know that there are two restaurants in the Eiffel Tower: 58 Tour  Eiffel and Les Jules Verne. 58 Tour Eiffel is on the first floor (58 meters up--hence 58 Tour Eiffel) and Les Jules Verne is on the second floor. We had dinner reservations at 58 Tour Eiffel so I can't tell you much about Les Jules Verne but I'm sure they are pretty similar. Les Jules Verne is much more expensive and fancier. For dinner at 58 Tour Eiffel most men wore suit jackets and most women wore dresses. I wore black pants and blazer. Lunch service is even more casual at 58 Tour Eiffel.

MAKE RESERVATIONS AND BE ON TIME

There are two opportunities for dinner service at 58 Tour Eiffel: one at 6:30 PM and one at 9 PM. I recommend reserving your table early in your planning since reservations can be limited and go fast. Once you confirm your reservation (can be done online), be sure to arrive on time. It is a fixed course menu and runs like clockwork. You check in at the north corner of the Eiffel Tower and then proceed into a lift, which takes you to the restaurant. After dinner you can leave the restaurant but still wander around the tower and take in all the views.

ENJOY THE CUISINE

Is it the best food in Paris? No, but the food is still delicious and its all part of the experience! There were multiple courses and even though I knew I wanted to photograph the food I tried to do so as discretely as possible so I wouldn't scream ugly American party of 1 to the service staff.  I missed photographing a few courses -- and managed to photograph one after a few bites in. 

Our menu included: (1) salmon tartar marinated in pink peppercorns, "citron de Menton" whipped cream and purple potato chip, (2) duck foie gras, cherry and Sichuan pepper chutney and toasted brioche, (3) scallops a la plancha, peas and glazed carrots with a champagne sauce, (4) leg of lamb, anna potatoes, eggplant caviar, fried zucchini flower and smoked soy butter, and (5) Guanaja chocolate crisp cake, light vanilla cream and raspberries. And of course, copious amounts of champagne.
And the Eiffel Tower fork tines was a really nice touch. I could not pick a favorite dish even if you asked me. Ok, fine, my favorite was the scallop course -- that champagne sauce was like nothing I have ever tasted before!

SOMEONE WILL OFFER YOU PHOTOGRAPHS

Admittedly, dinner in the Eiffel Tower is a tourist attraction. However, I believe you should pursue as many Once in a Lifetime Experiences as possible so don't let that dissuade you from making a reservation. The most touristy thing is that a staff member will offer to take a photograph (to sell you if you like it). We turned it down but our waiter was so nice and was happy to take a quick photo on our phone. It's probably not as high quality as the professional one but we still have a photo of the experience and we didn't pay a premium for it so I am a happy girl! You can even make out the Trocadero behind us through the window. Aside from the food, the view was my second favorite part.
  
ENJOY THE VIEWS

You can use the time before or after dinner to walk around and explore the two levels. You can also purchase a lift ticket up to the top of the Eiffel Tower and the champagne bar if you want. Our dinner service was the 9 PM service so we arrived early to walk the tower levels and take in all the views of the Jardins du Trocadero and the Champ de Mars.
All in all, I highly recommend the experience for anyone who loves food, pretty views, and a good Once in a Lifetime Experience. It is well worth it!

If you have any questions let me know below -- I'm happy to add and update this post as needed! You can also find some additional information directly from 58 Tour Eiffel.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Have a thought? I'd love to hear it! Share a comment and let me know what you're thinking.

Blogger templates by pipdig