August 15, 2021

Keeping Life Simple with Blue Apron (A review)

This post is not sponsored. I just really want to share my thoughts on Blue Apron since I've talked about a few other home delivery options on here and I wanted to see how it compared. 
The first dinner we made was a Togarashi Tilapia and Garlic Rice option. That's one of my favorite things about meal kit services -- they let me try new foods without having to buy regular size bottles or specialty spices or ingredients that will go to . 
Overall, Blue Apron was unsurprisingly very similar to the other meal kits we have tried. Check out my Home Chef and Sun Basket reviews if you want to hear more. Everything came pre-packaged and pre-portioned with an easy-to-follow recipe card. I love that I don't have any food waste or anything leftover at the end and I don't have to dirty a ton of dishes, measuring cups, or measuring spoons.
I also never have to worry about running out of an ingredient mid-recipe with these kits. Is there anything more frustrating then when you need 1/2 cup of something and you only have 1/4 cup left? 

And how cute are these mini containers?!
I also really like that no matter your culinary skill level the meals always turn out so well. This tilapia and garlic rice with veggies was absolutely finger-licking good.

How does Blue Apron work?

It's so easy. You create a Blue Apron account on its website and from there you choose how many meals you would like, the serving size/number of people you're feeding (2-4), and select a delivery date. Blue Apron makes it easy to choose menus that fit your needs and interests. It even has weight watchers, vegetarian, and family options. You can also add wine pairings for a minimal extra fee too. Then you simply await your meal box that will be delivered on time and in an ice-packed container.

Pros and Cons

  • Easy to follow recipe with perfectly portioned ingredients
  • Eliminates food waste
  • No more last minute trips to the store to buy a forgotten ingredient!
  • Allows you to be more adventurous and try meals you wouldn't otherwise make
  • Quick cooking (all meals we bought were 20-30 minutes)

Cons

  • You have to email to cancel your plan if you decide not to continue. Since we were just trying it and had no intention of using it all the time it was annoying to have to email rather than just update information in the online account.
  • Somewhat smaller portions -- so far I think Home Chef has the best portion sizes.
  • I think other services have a slightly better range of options for meals
  • Packaging is not eco-friendly -- but this is the same for any delivery service that I found

Have you tried a meal kit delivery service? Which was your favorite?

How is your weekend going?

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Have a thought? I'd love to hear it! Share a comment and let me know what you're thinking.

Blogger templates by pipdig