December 02, 2022

The Beginners Guide to Holiday Decor on a Budget

I have always loved decorating for the holidays and today I sharing some holiday staples you shouldn't be without. I'm also sharing some tips on building up your holiday decor stash.

Even when I was in law school and I lived alone in a tiny apartment I still always decorated for the holidays. For those just starting out or those without a ton of money to spend on the newest, hippest, most influencer-recommended decor, I wanted to share some of my holiday staples that won't break the bank.

Christmas Tree

You cannot decorate for Christmas without a Christmas tree! I am team artificial tree all the way. When I was a kid my family always bought a real tree but there's just something about having a real tree, a fire hazard, something I need to water, and all those pine needles that fall to the ground that I just didn't want to deal with. I invested in an artificial tree years ago and never looked back. If you want to make sure you never have to replace your tree you can always buy an unlighted one and string the lights yourself each year.

Garland or Wreath


I always enjoy putting up our Christmas wreath on the front door. Once that goes up it feels like it is Christmas time. I also enjoy decorating with garland throughout the house. You can hand garland over a doorway, wrap it on a banister, lay it on your TV stand, or place it on your mantle. It is such a great way to add vibrant color and a cozy atmosphere for the holidays. I like to add twinkle lights and candles too for an extra festive flair.

Christmas Stocking

You don't have to break the bank for a custom stocking or waste money on the mass-produced ones at Target. 

I made my stocking from a cross-stitch kit and I absolutely love it. It takes some time and is not as easy as buying one from the store but it will become a family treasure. I have a whole post about how to finish a Christmas stocking.

Table runner/Placemats/Throw Pillows

This is probably the easiest way to add a little holiday cheer and pizazz to your space on a budget. And you can get really cheap options on Amazon or at TJ Maxx.

Tips to build your holiday decor collection.

  • Be sure to check the after-season sales. A lot of my decor items were purchased during these sales when the businesses were trying to unload inventory.
  • Check Facebook Marketplace.
  • Don't turn your nose up at family hand-me-downs. Some of my favorite decor items came from family castoffs. 
  • Buy with purpose. When you are just starting your holiday decor collection it can be tempting to go hog wild and buy everything you see on large influencer blogs. But exercise restraint and you may find you build a better, more-focused decor for your space.
Share your thoughts:
  1. Do you decorate for the holidays?
  2. What is your favorite seasonal experience?
  3. Do you decorate for EVERY season?

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Have a thought? I'd love to hear it! Share a comment and let me know what you're thinking.

Blogger templates by pipdig