March 21, 2024

A Quick Trip to New York City

Imagine my surprise when I received a text from my aunt "We're going to be in NYC 3/12-3/19 for a very last minute mom/daughter birthday trip. Want to come hang with us?" to a family group text thread.  Immediately I jumped in with an emphatic "YES!" and set about planning. The vibe of the trip was to tour as many bakeries as possible with a little sightseeing mixed in so I was all in.

My sister, my mom, and I all live within a convenient train distance of NY so it was really easy to get up there. We left after work on Friday and hopped the 1.5 hours up to the city. We were able to join my aunt and cousin for dinner at Lombardi's (a tasty delicious pizzeria that claims to be "America's First Pizzeria) and then for some ice cream at Morgenstern's.

At Morgenstern's Finest Ice Cream I went with the classic Madagascar vanilla with chocolate fudge. The fudge was so decadent. It was the perfect sweet treat even if it was a tad chilly outside! We gave my cousin a little birthday gift package (a cute little zip pouch, a Sephora giftcard, and a Dior Lip Gloss). Then we called it a night.

On Saturday, we started our morning doing a bit of wandering and then headed to Citizens, a community-based Australian cafe with the most amazing Smashed Avocado Toast and authentic aussie twist, for breakfast. 

Of course, I had to have the avocado toast and it was almost too beautifully plated to eat. It was multigrain bread topped with smashed avocado, feta cheese, lime, cilantro, pickled onion, radish, pumpkin seeds and beetroot hummus. I added a poached egg on top and it was soooooo good.

We also tried the Vegemite Flight because we have never had Vegemite before. It was Vegemite on cheddar biscuit three different ways: (1) with butter, (2) with cheese, and (3) smashed avocado. To our surprise, it was actually really tasty. It was a very umami taste that seemed like it could be really good on grilled cheese -- the cheese one was my favorite. You can see a glimpse of it in the top of the photo below.
There are a few locations in NYC and, for any of my Houston-area readers, there is a location in Houston!

After we were fueled up we started out for the High Line. We stopped at the Vessel, walked the High Line, shopped at Peloton to pick up a few new hoodies and things.

My sister and I enjoy walking the high line because it is an uninterrupted stretch and you don't have to worry about cars.
You also get to see some cool architecture with the buildings you pass while you walk down the high line.
We also stumbled upon a pop up Diane Von Furstenberg for Target event so we explored that a little bit.
Who doesn't love a good wrap dress?

And before heading for food we visited The Vessel, which unfortunately is no longer open for visitors due to safety concerns.
We had dinner and continued to mill around the city until it was time to head to sleep.

Sunday was our last morning in NYC and so we only could join our family for breakfast. We didn't want to interrupt too much of their travel an they only had a few days left so we figured they could return to their tour of the NYC bakeries. We stopped for breakfast at Maman, a tiny cafe at the back of an unassuming Paper Source store.

It had the cutest fairy-esque/woodland vibes. I ordered an oat milk hot chocolate and a ham and cheese croissant. Delicious!

The trip up to NYC was short but enjoyable. It was a really great opportunity to see my aunt and cousin from California since it is so rare they come to the east coast (in their defense, it also rare I find myself on the west coast) and I am really glad we were able to join them for the weekend.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Have a thought? I'd love to hear it! Share a comment and let me know what you're thinking.

Blogger templates by pipdig