August 26, 2019

New Orleans Travel Guide

We love to escape to new cities for a low-stress long weekend every now and again. The last new city we visited was New Orleans and I realized that I never did a travel guide for it. Keep on reading if you're interested in visiting The Big Easy!

If you want to read about our trip in my earlier recap posts they are here (Part One) and here (Part Two).

Where to Stay

Louisiana has so many fabulous neighbors to choose from and each offers their own benefits for travelers. You probably heard of the famous Garden District and French Quarter, right? Depending on what you want to do be sure to research the closest/most convenient neighborhood and decide where you want to stay. We stayed in the French Quarter so we were nice and close to all the sites we wanted to see.
We chose the Courtyard by Marriott New Orleans French Quarter on Iberville Street. The accommodations were nice, the hotel was clean, the staff was super friendly and courteous, and there was always cucumber/fruit water waiting for us in the lobby. That was so refreshing in the southern heat -- is there anything better than cold fruit-infused water on a hot day? I don't think so!

We passed so many hotels though so I really don't think you can go wrong. New Orleans is a very popular place for corporate conferences so there is no shortage of hotels.

What to Eat
I am no expert by any means but oh my gosh I think we did Nola proud with the variety of foods that we had. There is no shortage of options.
But of course, there are famous New Orleans staples that you can't miss!

You cannot visit New Orleans and not enjoy at least one po-boy. I didn't stress about eating healthy during our trip but if you are calorie-conscious a po-boy is worth every single calorie and minute on the treadmill.
My mouth is watering looking at that fried shrimp right now. Husband and I ordered beef and shrimp po-boys to split but if you're adventurous you can try osyter (I passed). There is something so satisfying about an unassuming french bread roll slathered with mayo, shredded lettuce, tomato, and piled high with fried shrimp or beef. Don't forget to grab PLENTY of napkins for the inevitable mess. You can get a side of fries or something but trust me the sandwich will be enough!

Head over to Parkway or Johnny's Po-Boys if you want to give one of these a try.
Parkway has been around since 1911 and Johnny's Po-Boys has been around since 1950. It's a tiny hole in the wall joint marked by the white and red plastic tablecloths. Don't judge a book by its cover, you won't be disappointed. Parkway has way more seating and you place and pick up your order at a counter before sitting down. Both restaurants were amazing but I think I liked Parkway's slightly more.

You can also try another New Orleans sandwich staple: the Muffuletta. If you ask me though, it was a pass. We stopped in at Central Grocery Co. to try this iconic food. It's a 9 inch circular Sicilian sesame loaf with ham, salami, mortadella, swiss, provolone, and an olive salad (brined kalamata and green olives with pickled veggies).
For me, I think it was the olive salad that killed it. If you are a fan of olives though you would probably really like this sandwich. Just be sure to share--it's huge!

For breakfast don't be ashamed if you find yourself at Cafe du Monde multiple times -- I think it's open 24/7. You can also get take out on the far side and there's a gift shop..of course. Beignet mix anyone?
Look at all that powdered sugar!

For dinner, there are so many options. I couldn't wait to try all of the amazing gumbo, seafood, and cajun recipes. And boy did I have gumbo.
Try out these restaurants:
  • Felix's Restaurant
  • Antoine's Restaurant (it's New Orleans "oldest restaurant" and has the most amazing bread and baked Alaska). Go with a group and just order the baked alska. It's bigger than a football!
  • Nola, a restaurant from Chef Emeril Lagasse. 
  • Emeril's New Orleans Fish House. We didn't eat here but I really wanted to!
I recommend making reservations if at all possible. It's so much easier to be the New Orleans crowds and most reservations can be made online.

I think everything we had was delicious, from red beans and rice, gumbo, etoufee, to oysters. You can't go wrong.

And of course, drinks. I'm not a huge drinker but we figured we had to stop at Pat O'Briens! 
I didn't get their famous Hurricane but my husband did. Both of our drinks were super strong and we enjoyed sitting out on the patio. Felt sort of speak easy like!

Things to Do

  • Wander the town
There's so much to see and you can make a whole day of just touring the streets. The architecture is beautiful and you can get lost in the history.
  • Steamboat Natchez Jazz Cruise
Do you like being on a boat? Do you like listening to jazz? Well then this is for you! You can drink, you can eat, and you can watch the city of New Orleans go by as you travel up/down the Mississippi River. Plus, it's the only true steamboat in New Orleans so that's neat.


  • New Orleans Jazz Museum and Mint
  • Preservation Hall performance
  • Visiting a Plantation.

These are quintessential south to me but I know these can be very controversial. I would not recommend visiting any plantation that attempts to disregard the humanitarian cost associated with the plantation. Don't get caught up in the opulence of "the big house" and then be ignorant of the horrors of slavery that occurred at the plantation. It was important to me that we visited a plantation that would present a true and authentic depiction of history. Oak Alley Plantation was worth the visit.
Our tour guide was an extremely knowledgeable and reverent woman who was able to educate the tour group on the experiences of not only the property owners but also the slaved they relied so heavily on.

  • Go on a Swamp Tour
I mean, how can you not enjoy a day spent on a pontoon boat on a bayou and alligator sightings??
  • World War II Museum
  • Visit Mardi Gras World
 How can you visit New Orleans and not visit Mardi Gras World? You're in the mecca of mardi gras!
You get to see all the Mardi Gras floats and decorations Made me want to party!

I love traveling and seeing new places. If you have any ideas that I left out please let me know so I can add it. I can't wait to return to New Orleans for more.

Where is your favorite place to visit?
What is your favorite thing to pack when you're traveling to a new place?
What was the last city you visited?
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Have a thought? I'd love to hear it! Share a comment and let me know what you're thinking.

Blogger templates by pipdig