September 06, 2019

What Invisalign is really like.

This post has been a long time coming. I started my Invisalign journey the day before Thanksgiving in 2016 and wrapped it up shortly after my wedding in September 2017. I wanted to share my experience in case anyone was considering Invisalign or braces and had questions. I definitely recommend Invaslign but there were some things I wish I would have known when I was starting off my journey. Warning: teeth photos ahead!

Invisalign is a custom treatment plan to straighten teeth by using a progressive series of plastic liners to shift and move teeth. Each plastic liner is worn for between 7-14 days (for 22 hours per day!) and they slowly push your teeth into position. One of the major upsides is that the liners are clear and minimally noticeable. One major downside is that each liner has to be worn for 22 hours per day so you really only take them out to eat and drink (while they are in you can only drink water).

This photo was taken at my initial consultation. As you can see I had significant crowding in my lower teeth and one large indent in my uppers. I also never realized how uneven my front teeth were! I love looking at this picture because it shows how far I've come. 

Each program is different as far as how many liner trays you need. I needed 31 trays initially and then 27 more for a "refinement." Refinements are used when your teeth don't move exactly as anticipated in the projections. They are included in the cost (or at least they were for me). The only downside is that refinements add more time to your overall treatment.

My Invisalign cost me $3,100 and I think it was well worth it. I think my insurance covered the first $1000 and then the rest was out of pocket. 

I don't know if Invisalign works faster than braces but you will see improvement so fast. I started in November 2016 and this was taken in February 2017. You can also see the "dots" on some of my teeth--these help the liners push the teeth as needed.

My orthodontist would give me four to five sets of liners at a time with dates for when to progress them. I would recommend starting your next set at night since they're most painful the first few hours while your teeth adjust. I never thought they were outright painful but I definitely did have some discomfort, especially for the final few trays the corrected my overbite and tightened my teeth back together.

This was in February 2018. The difference one year can make is insane. 

And these days my smile looks like this.

After Invisalign is complete you will get a retainer. I had a choise between a permanent retainer and removable retainers (basically copies of your last tray in a thicker plastic). I didn't want a piece of wire permanently in my mouth.

Some things I wish I would have known before Invisalign:
  • You will get "buttons" on your teeth. The plastic liners wouldn't do anything without pressure points on your teeth. I had a few buttons placed on my front teeth so they were the most noticeable. Not everyone needs the same buttons in the same places--I was just unlucky.
  • You need to wear them 22 hours per day. I was militant about this in the beginning. But then I relaxed a bit and made sure to wear them between 16-18 hours. I always wore them while sleeping and at work.
  • The first few days will hurt. I flicked the back of the liner with my tongue the first day or two and it made my tongue raw and sore. You get used to the feeling after a while and all of that goes away.
  • You may have a lisp while you adjust to talking in the liners. Mine subsided within four days but some words would still come out a little funny throughout my treatment.
  • You have follow up orthodontic visits every 6 or so weeks, depending on how many sets of trays are given to you at a time. So if you work full time make sure your orthodontist has evening hours (mine didn't so I had a lot of lunch time visits during my treatment).
  • It can be slightly embarrassing if you are having a work lunch or lunch with friends and have to covertly slip your liners out so you can eat. Most of my colleagues and all of my friends knew I had Invisalign so they didn't care when I had to "pop my teeth out." (Just don't ever put them on a table or your plate--you will lose them).
Are you thinking about Invisalign? Comment below if you have any questions!
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Have a thought? I'd love to hear it! Share a comment and let me know what you're thinking.

Blogger templates by pipdig