January 07, 2024

How to Make the Perfect Poached Eggs

Today I'm sharing all the secrets for how to poach an egg and enjoy these tasty brunch favorites at home. 

Poached eggs are my go to when I am out but always seemed too intimidating to make at home. I started eating poached eggs when I realized they were one of the healthiest ways to prepare eggs. There is no butter or oil needed. Just water and a will to succeed. You may mess up an egg or two but in no time at all you'll be making poached eggs like a pro!

How to Poach an Egg

  1. Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil.  I like to use a deeper pot with about 4 inches of water. You can also bring it to a full boil and then lower/turn off the heat if you prefer.
  2. Add one tablespoon of white vinegar to the pot.
  3. Crack the egg into a small bowl (we're cooking one egg at a time).
  4. Stir the pot to form a circular vortex.
  5. Gently pour the egg into the pot and leave it be for 2-3 minutes.
  6. Once the egg is cooked to your liking, use a slotted spoon to remove your egg. Allow it to drain off excess water before adding to your plate.

Some other helpful tips for the perfect poached egg:

  • Add 1 tbs of vinegar to your water. It won't change the taste of your egg, I promise.
  • Use a fine mesh sieve. This will make it even easier to place the egg in the pot. Once you lower the sieve into your pot use a spoon
  • Use fresh eggs. Honestly, I have not noticed much of a difference between using fresh eggs versus older eggs but this is a popular tip that I have heard.
  • You can poach your eggs and store them in an ice bath in the fridge for up to 2 days. When you are ready to eat, just pluck the egg out and submerge in warm water until it has heated up. Be aware, reheating them this way may cook the eggs a little bit more.
  • If you really don't want to mess with poaching in the ways I have listed, get yourself a rapid egg cooker instead. No, they won't be the same...but they'll be good enough!
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Have a thought? I'd love to hear it! Share a comment and let me know what you're thinking.

Blogger templates by pipdig