May 07, 2022

Bag Review: Louis Vuitton Pochette Metis (Empreinte Leather)

 

Today I am sharing another bag review! My Louis Vuitton Pochette Metis in empreinte leather. I have been obsessed with the Pochette Metis and as you know from my review of the monogram I recently purchased both the monogram and the leather option to celebrate paying my student loans off. I already did a review of the monogram but in case you are more interested in the leather option than canvas I wanted to do a quick review for the empreinte leather too. 

Bag Specs (Dimensions/Weight/Etc)

The Pochette Metis bag is 9.8 inches long, 7.5 inches high, and 2.8 wide. The empreinte leather is noticeably heavier than the canvas. But even with the added weight it is still very comfortable on the shoulder so I don't think it's a problem at all. 

The inside of the bag contains three compartments (two larger and one slim) and the material of the inside is a printed fabric. The compartments are sturdy and give the bag its distinctive shape.

The back of the bag contains a zip-closure slip pocket that can fit your phone or other frequently-needed items. 

The zipper pull had the gold metal plus a leather pull. This is different from the monogram option which only has the gold pull.

And of course, the bag has the gold hardware S-lock closure. I love the protective stickers and I am not going to take them off until they fall off. I think you can even find better-fitting protectors online.

Although I have heard the S-lock gets scratched and tarnishes you can use a brass cloth to shine it back up if needed. My S-lock works really well and the flap pops right open when you squeeze the lock.

As a crossbody bag, it also comes with an adjustable and removable strap. It has seven grommets to help you control if you want the bag to sit higher or lower on your hip. At the longest setting the bag drop is about 21 inches and at the shortest setting I think it is 18 inches or so. The strap is a bit more flexible than the strap that comes with the monogram option. 

Wearability

The Pochette Metis is meant to be worn crossbody, on one shoulder, or even hand held (with or without the strap attached) as a clutch or mini satchel. 

Storage

This bag is surprisingly roomy. I have gravitated toward my smaller bags (see some of my other bag reviews here, here, and here) and I even tend to use just my LV key pouch if I am running out for a quick errand.

It fits a standard wallet, sunglasses, phone, lip balm, keys, passport, and has room to spare. It does not fit a DLSR camera though.

Care

The bag is made of calfskin leather embossed with the LV monogram. As with any luxury bag, be careful not to scratch it or slide it across rough surfaces (like the ground) and take care to avoid water, humidity, or excessive heat.  

I have read that the embossing becomes less pronounced as the bag ages. Since my bag is brand new I cannot comment on that yet. 

Because I know LV glazing can be a problem (their Neverfulls, Speedys, and Pochette Metis all have the problem) I inspected the bag closely when I received it. I am hoping to escape without any glazing issues! But if you do have glazing issues you can take it into your boutique for repair. 

Options

There are so many style options for this bag. It includes the classic monogram (I have this one too and reviewed it here), classic reverse monogram, bicolor monogram empreinte, and regular empreinte leather. They also have specialty collections and colors sometimes.
I have the empreinte leather in noir and the classic monogram and I cannot decide which one I love more. I really like the more subtle look of the empreinte leather but there is something about the monogram that is just...well....classic! I love them both and can't wait to use them all the time.
I do still have my eye on the turtledove one because it is STUNNING. 
Source: Louis Vuitton website.
But I just can't justify having three of these bags right now. Maybe later.

Price and Availability

This bag currently retails for $2,840. Much like other luxury fashion houses Louis Vuitton does do price increases throughout the year and I think the last increase was in February 2022. If you ask me, it is worth every penny. 

One of the partners at my firm had this bag and every time I would see her with I would literally dream of the day I would have one too. Luckily, the noir empreinte leather Pochette Metis appears to be pretty readily available both in-store and online. So if you want it....availability should not a problem! I can't say the same for the classic monogram.

You can also try to find a pre-loved Pochette Metis on a reseller website if you want to save a few bucks. Just be careful and do your own research to ensure you are choosing a good quality (and authentic) option!

Look for Less

As always, the attorney in me wants to urge you to avoid supporting the counterfeit or replica industries. Number one, it is illegal to purchase a counterfeit item. But counterfeits also cheapen and ruin the reputation of the brand, contribute to unethical labor market practices, and can even be linked to subsidizing organized crime. Seriously, do your research and think twice.

But if you think $2,840 for a handbag is insane -- and believe me I hear you -- the good news is you can get a similar look for less while still respecting and not infringing on the brand's protected designs. If you love the style but not the LV print or price tag check out these options instead:

Landry (7 color options!) |  Botkier  |  DKNY 

You can also try the Coach Kip Turnlock Crossbody or the Coach Cassie but it is discontinued. You may be able to find it on a reseller though.

Thank you for checking out my bag review! Did I leave anything out? If you have any questions please leave it in a comment below or email me so I can add the information!

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Have a thought? I'd love to hear it! Share a comment and let me know what you're thinking.

Blogger templates by pipdig