March 14, 2023

How to Improve Your Mental Health in the Legal Field

I recently switched firms from a regional firm to a national firm with much more opportunity and exposure to different areas than what I have been practicing thus far. While I am really excited for the future, the last few months really had me analyzing all of the serious problems at my old firm and about an aspect of law that feels disregarded by most in the industry: mental health. Today I am sharing some ideas for improving mental health in the legal field.

Photo above is from Combatting Stress in the Legal Profession: the 'New Normal', Helen Pamely (Jan. 5, 2022).

Is mental health in the legal field a problem?

My opinion is that mental health overall (not just in the legal field) is a topic that is not discussed with sufficient candor and honesty. People stigmatize the topic and can even shame those who want to talk about it. Recently there has been a shift where the curtain is starting to lift but I still think there is much work to be done to approach and solve the issues. 

Maybe you are a lawyer or one of the other equally important roles in the legal field -- perhaps a legal assistant, paralegal, file clerk, law clerk, etc. You already know the legal profession is a stressful combination of demanding pressure, sensitivity to deadlines, unpredictability, and, of course, adversarial relationships. You may feel uncertain, unstable, and insecure. I feel that way too. 

I did not realize until recently that attorneys are among those most prone to mental health problems. It can lead to inability to concentrate on work responsibilities, cope with job stress, or even maintain healthy relationships in their personal life with friends and family. It can also lead to depression, anxiety, and substance abuse. Did you know that 31.2% of lawyers surveyed in a ALM Mental Health and Substance Abuse Survey felt they were depressed? That is 4x the rate for the general population.

Ways to Improve Your Mental Health in the Legal Field

Set and enforce boundaries.

It can be really difficult when you are working from sun up to sun down trying to finalize a brief that needs filed the next day. It is too easy to get carried away by the "just one more" mentality. You know, just one more returned phone call, just one more email response, just one more status update...but unless you are up against a specific deadline the "just one more" can wait until tomorrow. Find boundaries that work for you and stick to them with minimal exceptions. Have time in your day that is non-negotiably yours.

Loosen up on your plan for your day.

One of the most beneficial qualities a legal industry professional possesses is the ability to make a plan. We plan how to handle our cases, how to handle our clients, how to handle our workload, and even how to handle our day. To Do Lists are great -- I swear by them. But don't get too bogged down in your daily to do list that a single unexpected item throws off your whole day. Always leave room for flexibility. I do this by ensuring I have about 40 minutes in my day where nothing is planned.

Find an outlet.

Identify a healthy outlet that helps you digest and manage your stress or distract you from it for a little. I like creative outlets (like this blog) but I also use physical activity too. When I was under the stress of preparing for the Bar Exam I really got into running and to this day I still find myself itching to go for a run when my stress level starts to approach high levels. Some other possible outlets are cooking, baking, activities with your hands (cross-stitching, needlepoint, sewing, puzzling, painting), reading, journaling, playing video games, talking on the phone with a friend, watching a TV show, or even some retail therapy. On more than one occasion I have shopped online but not actually purchased anything but boy did I feel better.

Prioritize physical wellness and nutrition.

Eat well, sleep well, stay hydrated. When stress is piling up for me I know that healthy meals, eight hours of sleep, and hydration are the first things to go. I start reaching for quick snacks (read: goldfish or fast food that I can shovel in while working). I don't sleep well because my mind is racing. Once I stop focusing on my nutrition and sleep it gets even more difficult to relieve my stress and I start to feel even more awful. 

Find time to (temporarily) disconnect.

This one might be more controversial than the other methods but if you are really feeling overwhelmed find time to disconnect from work. You should be able to take a day off without the sky falling. If your workload is that unbalanced that you cannot take a mental health day to rest and recharge then speak with you supervisor or upper management because that is a big problem. Obviously you might not be able to work around important deadlines (like a motion needing to be filed or a deposition you need to attend) but identify a day where you can unplug when you start to feel overwhelmed.

Seek professional help.

There are a number of mental health professionals with significantly more resources and tailored information to assist us in coping with stress and managing our mental health. If you start to feel concerned about your mental health consider reaching out to a professional for assistance. Don't let anyone make you feel uncomfortable or embarrassed about wanting to seek help. Professionals can step in and help us before it becomes more of a crisis.

I sincerely hope the legal profession and industry will continue to investigate and develop change focused on improving the mental health and wellbeing. I hope you found this post useful and will explore some options to ensure you are happy, healthy, and can practice law without compromising mental health and wellness.

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Have a thought? I'd love to hear it! Share a comment and let me know what you're thinking.

Blogger templates by pipdig