October 11, 2019

Zermatt, Switzerland (Part 1)

 

I have to break down the Zermatt recap into multiple posts because there are so many photos and squeezing them into one post would make it realllly long. So this is part one. We left Wengen and returned to Lauterbrunnen to get a train to Zermatt. It was a three hour train so I listened to my audible book (I was listening to The Selection by Kiera Cass--I highly recommend if you like the Hunger Games and The Bachelor, lol). When we arrived in Zermatt we walked to our hotel. There are no cars in Zermatt (just tiny vehicles) and the hotel picks guests up in a horse drawn carriage but we just walked to we could see more.

Zermatt gave me serious holiday village vibes and I would love to see this place in the winter covered in snow.

We made it to our hotel and checked in. We were staying at the Zermatterhof. I loved our hotel because when we arrived they offered us drinks and snacks.

I don't remember what exactly was in that pink drink but that flatbread was mmmmm soooo good. It was called Tartes Flambee/Flammkuchen) and had sour cream, spring onions, bacon, and grated cheese. It was one of the most delicious things I have ever had and I will definitely be trying to recreate it back home. It was so good we ended up buying two more from room service throughout of trip.

After our welcome drinks and snack we ventured out and were greeted by the most amazing clear sky view of the Matterhorn.
Basically you have Zermatt in a valley located between two mountains and you can hike, ski, and mountain bike all throughout the area because there are so many paths and trails to choose. We choose a path and started walking toward "Old Zermatt," the oldest part of the village built between 16th and 18th centuries.
You can just walk and the follow the various posts that list the trails.
I'm not what you would call an "outdoorsy" girl but I had so much fun hiking in Zermatt. Plus, I was so excited to put my new hiking shoes to work!

We headed back to town and had, you guessed it, fondue for dinner. 
By now we were pros at the single dunk and getting the nice hardened bits off the bottom toward the end. Those chunks tasted like Cheez-Its...but better!

Stay tuned for Part 2 of our Zermatt hiking adventure...
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Have a thought? I'd love to hear it! Share a comment and let me know what you're thinking.

Blogger templates by pipdig