May 17, 2023

In my Taylor Swift Era (a recap of The Eras Tour - Philadelphia)

Let's start at the very beginning because man was it a journey to The Eras Tour.
It all started with me sitting at my computer in February texting updates with my sister about where we were in the Taylor Swift Ticketmaster virtual queue along with millions of others trying to get tickets to highly anticipated tour. 

We had tickets for Loverfest back in 2020 but the pandemic had other plans so that was a bust. We did see her Reputation Tour (recap post here) back in 2018 so we knew exactly how amazing a performer she is live and how amazing The Eras Tour must be. We needed tickets. Clinging to our keyboards, cell phones, and tablets, my sister and I tried our best in three separate pre-sale opportunities. 

Round One: my sister's verified fan code. Success? No. Even though she had the account and the code, the code didn't work when she tried to enter. We couldn't even get in to the sale.

Round Two: my old boss' season ticket presale code (which I received because her emails were all forwarded to me after she left the firm and she never updated her account). Success? No. But I did at least get in to look for seats!
I came sooooo close but every time I clicked seat options I got an error notice saying another fan beat me to it and the tickets were no longer available. Then the tickets sold out and I was kicked out. Devastated to break the news to my sister that I failed.

Round Three: Capital One Cardholder presale. We actually opened a Capital One card in order to qualify for this opportunity. Success? No. We didn't even make it out of the queue.
Then we all know the general sale was canceled. We thought we were doomed to buy overpriced resale tickets if we reallllly wanted to go. We were devastated but just couldn't bring ourselves to pay $700+ per ticket for nosebleed seats when I knew the ticket prices were so much less. Reluctantly, we gave up on the dream to see The Eras Tour.

Then, about two or so weeks later, my uncle texted us that he received an email offering him the opportunity to purchase two tickets to the tour. He had purchased two tickets and was offering them to us! Having the tickets transferred into our accounts was like Christmas morning! We gave him money for the tickets of course but we were ecstatic. We were officially going to The Eras Tour - Philadelphia night three!! ESTATIC! We eagerly counted down to the date and spent time theorizing which songs Taylor Swift would play, what our outfits should be, and the bracelets we would make. 

Finally, it happened. Tay Day arrived! We went to the Sunday concert at the Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia and it was everything we hoped it would be...and more. As we were driving down to the stadium we were behind another fan that decorated their "getaway car".
Our outfits for the concert were mashups of various eras. I chose reputation, Midnights, and a little 1989. Plenty of sequins of course.
We also made alllll the friendship bracelets. The fans were trading them all over the stadium. A little girl traded my Swiftie bracelet for her Starlight bracelet. It's one of my favorite songs so I was happy to trade.
Just like her Reputation tour she gave us all light up bracelets. 
These are incredible when the sun went down and all you saw was gleaming lights in the stands. All the way up to the nosebleeds.
Taylor's opening acts were Gracie Abrams and Phoebe Bridgers. They were both enjoyable but nothing in comparison to the main event. 
After they finished the opening acts, a countdown appeared and the crowd went nuts. It ticked down from just over 2 minutes until showtime!

SPOILERS AHEAD! I talk about song and set list. If you don't want to know, stop reading!

Taylor opened with Miss Americana and the Heartbreak Prince, which is amazing because it opens with "It's been a long coming but you and me that's my whole world" and that's perfect after the five year hiatus. Who would have thought Miss Americana would have been the perfect opener?!
 
The dancers came out with these amazing parachute-y things and then surrounded the center of the stage and covered it. They all lifted up at once and revealed the one and only Miss Taylor Swift. 

She went through so many of her great hits, including Cruel Summer, The Man, You Need to Calm Down, Lover, The Archer, Fearless, You Belong With Me, Love Story, 'Tis the Damn Season, Willow, Marjorie, Champagne Problems, ...Ready For It?, Delicate, Don't Blame Me, Look What You Made Me Do, Enchanted, 22, We Are Never Getting Back Together, I Knew You Were Trouble, Nothing New, All Too Well (10 minute version--which we used as a bathroom break), The 1, The Last Great American Dynasty, Cardigan, Blank Space, Shake It Off, Wildest Dreams, Bad Blood, Lavender Haze, Anti-Hero, Midnight Rain, Vigilante S---, Bejeweled, Mastermind, and Karma.
Her costumes were AMAZING. Soooo many sequins and glitter. But then for Folklore and Evermore it was much more understated. Each different era was represented so well.
My favorite costume of hers might have been the green sparkly two piece for the 1989 era.
There were so many amazing moments.
And my favorite song were of course from rep. Or maybe when she sang The Man in her silver sparkly blazer. Whenever I go into court now I will need to wear a sequin blazer. Lol.
I love that she is doing two surprise songs each show. Our surprise songs were Hey Stephen and Best Day, which was perfect because it was Mother's Day. She told the sweetest story about writing the song and surprising her mom with it.
Her Midnights set was sooooo good.



Her finale was Karma and everyone was so excited for it. There was confetti.
And fireworks.
Best. Show. Ever.
Thank you Taylor. Thank you, thank you, thank you. We cannot wait for her next show!
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Have a thought? I'd love to hear it! Share a comment and let me know what you're thinking.

Blogger templates by pipdig